Friday, May 3, 2013

Poet

John Cooper Clarke
I will be researching and presenting the work of John Cooper Clarke for my poetry assignment.
 
Rubric
Poetry Analysis
-A typical analysis - meaning and structure
-Break down into theme (your response), character (POV), setting (mood), plot (what happening?)

I am looking for digging deep and figuring things out.
I am looking for clearly noting where you’re examining structure and meaning.
I am looking for a good link between poet and the poem
I am looking for use of presentation skills
I am looking for at least 3-5 questions per group member.

For Questions:
Restate
Make your point
Refer to proof
Explain the connection - the line of logic
Sum up


Mr. Lobb’s Secret Undercurrent - I mark you questions in terms of how thoughtful the answers will be.
SO, send your questions to me to check. OR conference with me at some point.
In general - no one word or simple yes/no answers - HOW, WHY
I also mark process work.

First Look
-JCC called a 'punk poet' due to his fame during the punk rock era
-Alex Turner of Arctic Monkeys is fond of his work
-In a 1982 music doc called "Urgh! A Music War"
-Also had a doc of him called "Evidently... John Cooper Clarke"
-I will find and make notes on these docs

-Grew up in Salford, Manchester - Large city, seems to have had an effect on his poetry - A lot of it seems to be set in or about events in "street life"
-Evident in his poem "Apart from the revolution"
a million angels sing
peasants eating cake
wedding bells are ringing
the room begins to shake
the children free from measles all
have healthy teeth and gums
they live in the cathedrals
and worship in the slums
poverty and pollution
have all swept away
apart from the revolution
it's another working day
-Talks about slums, "working day," middle class british life
-I get the feeling from this and his other poems he is comparing the class divisions within britain to feudal/medieval life

-His career started from his teacher describing him as a "a real outdoor guy, an Ernest Hemingway type, red blooded, literary bloke." - Inspired him to examine poetry - Began performing in clubs in Manchester

-Famous for his hairstyle

Some Links
http://www.cyberspike.com/clarke/poemlist.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cooper_Clarke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YBVuHkJLKc
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/john-cooper-clarke-the-punk-poet-whose-time-has-come-again-8165968.html 

Plan - Rubric
Did you start working on a poet?
-John Cooper Clarke
That is a presentation.
-I will use Prezi

Poet (bio, connection to the work)
-First segment of the prezi will be a bio
Context of Time Period (ie the Beat Poets of the 50s)
-Third segment will be a link between his work and real-world stuff
Poetry Analysis (a typical analysis - meaning and structure)
-Second Segment will be an analysis two of his poems
Your own artistry (multimedia, poetry in response)Questions
-I will revise my poem "Vandal"
I will create 5 questions, and apply them to a poems
-Beasley Street - http://www.cyberspike.com/clarke/beasley.html
  1. Find two examples of dialect, colloquialisms or expressions the author uses. Explain their usual meaning, and how this meaning has been purposed in the poem

Process Work
-I will post this document onto my blog as a side note to my presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment